Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to Build a Brand

I heard a story about two car salesmen. A woman walked into their dealership one day and began to approach them. One of the salesmen jumped up and met her halfway across the showroom. The woman said, "I didn't buy my car here, but I was wondering if someone could show me how to work the navigation." The salesman agreed without a moment's hesitation. He ended up spending about 15 minutes with the lady, showing here not only how to use the navigation but also how to pair her phone with the vehicle's Bluetooth and how to take advantage of the upgraded features in her cruise control.





When the salesman came back into the showroom, the other salesman said to him, "I'm glad it was you and not me, because I would have told her to get lost!" The first salesman, as he sat down in his chair, thought for a second and replied, "No, I'm actually kind of glad that I helped her." The second salesman looked incredulously at him and asked, "Why? You didn't make any money off of her." The first salesman shrugged his shoulders and said, "Because that's how you build a brand."

I've not been able to get that response out of my head, "that's how you build a brand." Recently, it has occurred to me that not every activity a salesperson engages in can possibly be revenue-generating, but every activity a salesperson engages in can be brand-enhancing. I'm not talking, obviously, about the brand of the product you are selling or about the name of the company you represent. I am talking about you, the salesperson; you, the consultant; you, the brand. What does your name mean to customers, prospects, and the general public. Or does it mean anything at all?

The salesman who helped the lady with her car did not make any money off of her directly, but he does not know who she might have told about how helpful he was. I don't know about you, but I want to be known as the guy who was helpful rather than the guy who didn't care. Building a more valuable reputation, actually, is revenue-generating; it simply isn't easily traced or quantified. You can measure the value of cold calls. It isn't so easy with your personal brand equity. Nevertheless, I think the market is too competitive today to not be focused on enhancing your personal brand. There are too many salespeople selling too many products for too many companies. How do you stand out?

No comments:

Post a Comment