Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Adventures In Bicycle Shopping

I am going to pick up a new bike today (I added the photo later today). It is a Trek 7100. Right now, they are assembling it and putting on the accessories I purchased; it should be ready in about an hour now. The funny thing is, I think I knew I was going to buy the bicycle before I even walkd into the shop. You see, about a week ago, I sent an email to the shop and received a stunning reponse from the owner. In the meantime, I was able to visit another bike shop that had a vast selection and brands and styles. When I walked into this bicycle shop today, I simply had to ask the salesperson a few questions and, within 1o minutes, he was writing up the order.



Here is the email I sent to the owner of the bicycle shop:

Hi,
I'm considering getting a bike for my 4 mile commute. I'm a runner and I
haven't done much biking. I don't know what to get. My commute is approx.
from Rt 46 at the aqueduct in Niles to Preston BMW on Rt 422. I may bike
leisurely, but it will likely be through town. I weigh about 180 and I'm
about 5'9". What do you have and how much would it cost?


Here is the owner's reply:


Doug, The Trek 7100 in a 17.5'' frame is the perfect choice for you. This is
an aluminum frame bicycle that has large 29'' alloy wheels, 80 PSI tires,
adjustable front suspension, and a seatpost shock. Our website features this
bike in more detail. Thumms.com is our web address. The 7100 on sale is last
years model, Rootbeer/cream is the color. We had it on sale for $399.95 last
year, and currently have it priced at $250.00. Call me for more information
at 330-392-6288. We have a test ride bike built, come in and test one.



Why did this email have such a powerful impact on me that I was ready to make the purchase when I walked into the shop? Here are a few reasons that I think make sense:




  1. The owner of this shop told me about a specific bicycle. When I had looked online, the breadth of options available to me made the whole endeavor of finding a nice bike to ride rather daunting. The same thing happened when I went to the other shop. The salesperson said, "These bikes are used for this and those bikes are used for that. Which one do you want?" The owner of this shop listened to my needs and recommended something specific to them. That made my search simple.


  2. He listed minimal features and gave me a resource (which I did use) to find out more. He hit the bike's main selling points but didn't go too far into technical detail. I know nothing about bikes but he gave me just another to spark a little curiousity. Adjustable front supension? Seatpost shock? What do these mean? I had to explore. What I found fit the context of what I thought I would need in a bike for my daily commute.



  3. He gave me perspective on price. This was the first time I had looked at prices for a bicycle outside of Target. I knew they were going to be more expensive than I was accustomed to, but I didn't really know what to expect. The owner told me what the bike had previously been priced at, what it's market value was when it was new, and used that as a benchmark for the amazing sale he was having on it. $150 off? I'm one of the least price-conscious people you'll find if it means I'm getting what I want, but really? That's a lot of money, especially when I went to the other bike shop and rode a $459 bike with similar specs that was not on sale at all.



  4. He offered an invitation. He gave me his number to call and, more importantly, he asked me to come in for a test-ride. He wasn't content to just give me information. He wanted to prove himself. He wanted to sell me. He wanted me to experience the product for myself. He built up expectation. I wanted to come see the bike with 29" Alloy Wheels and 80 PSI tires. I wanted to see the $400 dollar bike on sale for $250. And he asked me to--how could I refuse?


These are amazing lessons for salespeople. Granted, I'm an easy-sale and I enjoy doing business with people who are helpful. But I think this email was impressive nonetheless. This salesperson sold himself and his product before I even saw it. He helped me narrow down my selection, he connected the specs with my needs, he gave me what I perceived to be a great price, and he asked me for the sale (or opportunity at least).


What do you sell? Do you help your customers in the same way that this bicycle shop owner helped me? My guess is that he didn't think much of it, just another email answering a customer inquiry. But that's just it--it was his natural response to guide me to the sale. And he did a fantastic job. I've got to go. My bike is waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment