Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Resource of the Week: Instapaper

What is it?
Instapaper was launched by web developer and solopreneur Marco Arment in January 2008. It is an application that enables you to save articles from the web for later viewing. You can create an account online and sort all of your content into an array of folders. Instapaper is available on smartphones, tablets, and even eReaders.



Why I love it
I use Instapaper for virtually all of my reading. Instapaper has a link that can be saved to your "Favorites" folder and, when you select that link on any given webpage, it will save that content to your Instapaper "Read Later" folder. If I just happen to come across something interesting on the web or follow a link from my Twitter feed, I save it to my Instapaper. Likewise, I pick out what I find interesting from the 100+ blogs that I browse through everyday and save those articles to my Instapaper. Later, I'll go back through, read the articles, and sort them into folders that I have created. Instapaper has literally changed the way I consume content online. I honestly believe I would not be as well-studied today if it weren't for Instapaper. If you don't have it, I highly recommend it. The iPhone App. is only $4.99, but I believe the online account is free.

Who uses it?

I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of readers that use Instapaper (or, at least, there should be) on a day-to-day basis. Here are just a few that I've come across who have had positive things to say and have made Instapaper an integral part of their reading lives:

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try this out! Thanks for sharing. I read SO much content online every day, I can't wait to have a way to organize it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help, Erica! You'll LOVE Instapaper. I write a top 10 blog post on this site weekly and use Instapaper to compile the articles. Also, I can't tell you how many times I've used it to go back and retrieve an article to reference. I hope you find it as useful as I have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a blackberry and I just push i and any tweet goes to my insta paper no cost no app. but I don't know how I got it. Everything I read at ip is about iphones. As silliy as this may sound, any idea how or where I got it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea. I've nevervhad a blackberry but that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete