Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Resource of the Week: Dropbox


What is it?
Dropbox Inc was founded in 2007 by Drew Houston and Arash Ferdowsi, both graduates of MIT. Dropbox is a web application that you can download to various devices: your PC, your laptop, your smartphone, etc. It enables users to save files (i.e. pictures, videos, presentations, spreadsheets, documents) that can be accessed in the cloud from any device with Internet access. It is free for users who use only up to 2 GB, and there are paid options for 50 GBs, 100 GBs, and 250 GBs (group).


Why I love it
I save all of my most important files to Dropbox, mostly consisting of spreadsheets, documents, and presentations. Just in case something happens to my computer or I don't have access to it for some reason, I can pull up my Dropbox account from anywhere and access those files. It's useful on a day-to-day basis if I need to quickly access a file to update. I make a lot of lists in Excel and, as a writer, type a lot of Documents in Word. If I think of something that I forgot to add once I leave my house, I can pull up by Dropbox account wherever I am and add it to the file.

Dropbox also serves as an alternative for backing up my files. My computer crashed recently (before I had discovered Dropbox) and there were some files that I spent hours updating because I had neglected to save them to my external hard drive frequently enough. Now, every time I use one of these important files, I save them to both my computer and my Dropbox.

Dropbox is slowly becoming one of my favorite web applications. It isn't sexy like some other apps; it's actually quite boring. It just lets you save stuff. But it's incredibly useful and I'm not sure I could live without it at this point.


Who uses it?

As of April 2011, over 25 million users have signed on with Dropbox. It has been named on of the top 10 Apps for the iPhone and Android by leading tech websites Techchrunch and ZDNet, respectively. Its founders have been named among the top young tech entrepreneurs by both Business Week and Inc.com. In other words, Dropbox is no secret. Many of the sales, marketing, and social media experts that I follow use Dropbox in their everyday lives. Here are a few great minds that endorse it:

No comments:

Post a Comment