Wednesday, May 18, 2011

When Numbers Don't Work

I'm a huge fan of using quantitative data to assist in productivity assessment, trend analysis, and even some decision-making. I have an Excel spreadsheet overflowing with convoluted sales data. I can tell you the exact percentage of my sales that come from each of my 15+ lead sources. I can tell you exactly how many calls I've made and how many emails I've sent per lead. I can even tell you the average distance that my customers travel in order to do business with me. Ask anyone who's seen my sales sheet and they will tell you that I am absolutely obsessed with numbers.....and I bet I'm not the only one.

Numbers are safe. Numbers give us certainty. We know whether we should let a guy bat first by looking at his batting average. There is no certainty with a rookie--someone wearing the uniform for the first time. We can look at our average balance in the bank account to tell whether or not we can afford that vacation. But what if we just got a new job in which the bulk of our income will come from commissions? Numbers are safe and that's why we like numbers.


There is one situation I can think of, though, in which numbers simply don't work: that is the case in which data doesn't exist. Sometimes, you are doing something new. Sometimes, your best batter gets hurt and the rookie is waiting for his chance. Sometimes, you've just got to take that vacation. If you are doing something that hasn't been done before, you cannot use data because there is none. In this case, you have to rely on less certain things like intuition and experience. We often shy away from this kind of behavior (trying something new) because it involves a higher level of risk.


My advice? Create the data that others will use. You have data that you can make safe decisions with because somewhere along the line someone took a risk to create it. You don't always need data to give you permission. Often, the best work is done by those willing to take chances. People who are deemed crazy are often the next moment deemed genius. All data, whether primary or secondary, comes from somewhere. Why not from you? Don't be afraid to take a leap of faith from time to time. Yes, it's risky. But the payoff may be greater than you could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment