Saturday, May 14, 2011

4 Must Have Apps for Bloggers

P656

I'm addicted to blogging. There, I've taken the first step. I'm absolutely obsessed with developing and sharing my ideas. I've always dreamed of being a published writer and, even if in a non-traditional sense, the Internet has made it possible for me.

I suspect I'm not the only one enthralled with the idea of blogging. Everyone has an opinion and most love to share it. I'm willing to bet that most people who don't blog don't do it because they don't know how or they don't think they have time. Well guess what? I am married, go to church on Sundays and Wednesdays (sometimes), work 60 hours a week, and attend grad school. Believe me, you have time. And, with platforms out there like Wordpress and Blogger, it's easier than you might think.

One thing that has made blogging a lot easier for me is my smartphone. There are certain applications that I use to prep myself so that, when I actually end up posting, it's quick and easy. These 4 apps are must-haves for any blogger. So if you're already a regular blogger or you're merely toying with the idea, I highly recommend looking into them. They are:

1. PULSE. Anyone who is or aspires to be a blogger will be greatly benefitted by reading the blogs of others. Pulse is an application that allows you to integrate feeds from up to 60 sources. You can pull blogs, but you can also pull anything in RSS format--CNN, Car and Driver, Sports Illustrated, Glamour. You name it. This resource integrates a wealth of information to help writers develop an amazing base of knowledge.

2. INSTAPAPER. This is the only app on my list that costs money ($4.99), so you can judge for yourself whether or not it's worth it. Basically, Instapaper allows you to save a nearly unlimited number of articles for later viewing. You can even organize them into folders for easier access. The cool thing about Instapaper is that it works in conjunction with Pulse. You can browse through the sources in your Pulse app and send the articles of interest to Instapaper so that you aren't cluttered with the articles in Pulse that you don't want to read. Personally, I've found the app well worth 5 bucks.

3. EVERNOTE. Okay, this is the app that I can almost say that I couldn't blog without. Every time I have an interesting thought, Evernote allows me to type it and save it in a folder for later editing. Actually, this might surprise you but I'm typing this entire post in Evernote. Everything you put into the app is instantly transferred to your account online so that, if you want to, you can finish a post later on your PC. In addition to text, you can also add GPS location, tags, pictures, and voice memos. Hands down, this is my favorite app. Period.

4. POSTEROUS. This app is revolutionary for getting your blog post exposure. With Posterous, you can set your writing to automatically post to Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, Buzz, Plurk, Flickr, Tumblr, and more. And, if you blog on Blogger or Wordpress, you can type (or copy and paste) into Posterous and have it automatically post to your blog without even in to your blog's account. If you do a lot of mobile blogging, this blog is imperative.

Wanna know my process with these apps? I start with Pulse. I browse through all of my streams and read the articles of interest as they are posted. Then, I flip my favorites into Instapaper. Each Sunday, I narrow down what I believe to be the top 10 posts of the week and post a special entry on my own blog, recapping them. I jot every idea I have down in Evernote and go back and edit it when I have time. If I finish a post in Evernote while I'm not at my PC, I use Posterous to post it. That's how I blog. You should try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment