Friday, April 15, 2011

Why I Hate Spiders

Watch Video Instead

I consider myself a minor arachnophobe. I don't have panic attack when I see a spider, but I do freak out. I never hesitate to step on it. I don't like to kill things. I have respect for the sanctity of all life...all life, that is, except that which has eight legs. Sure, other bugs and perhaps some rodents are gross, but nothing brings out the merciless rage in me like a spider. What makes me hate spiders so much? Well, I think I've figured it out.

Spiders never announce their presence. I always catch them out of the corner of my eye. They hide in corners. They crawl out of cracks. They dangle down from the ceiling like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible. Spiders are sneaky. I suspect that to be the reason that, not only I, but many people in this world have such contempt for spiders. Spiders never let you know they are there...until it's too late and you're shrieking from the surprise.

Well, as you might imagine, this post is not about spiders. This post is about human relationships. Why do we not like some people? Why do we not trust some? I think it is because they are spiders. They are sneaky. They don't announce their intentions. They are double-minded. I think this is particularly true in the world of buyers and sellers.

All of us have a fear of being taken for a ride, being duped by the fine print, being tricked by someone who is selling something to us. "What's the catch?" We ask all so often. When a product or service seems too good to be true, we wonder what strings are attached. We are skeptical of salespeople and marketers. They hide their intentions. They crawl from the crevices. They are spiders.

Here is the grand lesson for salespeople and marketers: make your intentions known. Don't be a spider! Too often salespeople think that they need to trick the customer into buying. That is a terrible approach. It shows a lack of confidence in their products or their ability to communicate their benefits. Great salespeople will be upfront with their prospects. There is no shame in asking for money if you have something valuable to give in exchange. Introducing the prospect early on to the idea that you are actually expecting them to buy from you will eliminate awkwardness when the time comes to close the sale. Don't surprise your customers. Don't be a spider!

My advice to customers: don't buy from a salesperson with eight legs. Don't pay attention to marketers that spin webs. The people who have nothing to hide are the people who will not hide it. Do business with those people. Reward them for being upfront. Stay away from spiders!

No comments:

Post a Comment