Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sold Out and Proud of It!

Watch Video Instead

Roger Lowestein of the Wall Street Journal recently wrote a review on Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz's new book, Onward. Lowenstein was not exactly impressed, calling the book "unabashedly promotional." Lowestein criticizes Schultz for being motivational in his approach, rather than objective. According to Lowestein, the book should have been written by someone else who would have given us the facts rather than someone who would simply use it as a marketing tool for self-promotion. Is Lowestein correct in his assessment?

I read another review. This review was a review of Lowenstein's review by The Sales Blog writer Anthony Iannarino. Iannarino agrees with Lowenstein's assessment of Schultz's approach but denies that it is the wrong approach to take. According to Iannarino, Schultz should be no other way than motivational and self-promotional. Objectivity is just another way of saying indifference. "He is setting a standard that defines the brand to its customers," Iannarino argues, "and he is setting a standard for his employees." If Schultz is not 100% self-promotional, then he doesn't believe 100% in what he is doing...and neither will his customers or employees.

I have spoken to many workers at Starbucks, some of whom buy into Schultz's inspirational philosophy and some of whom think that it is baloney. Regardless, Schultz himself has never recanted on his beliefs. "Onward" is the perfect word to describe his approach. He isn't wishy-washy. He is always moving forward, always confident. Whether or not Schultz ever has to look in the mirror and tell himself, "Showtime," we'll never know. He ALWAYS seems convinced of what he is saying, even when others aren't. And, for that, I have to admire the guy.

Howard Schultz is sold out! We seem to have a negative association with that phrase, "sold out." To most of us, it means we have bought into some idea and have ceased to think for ourselves. But what if that idea is our own? What if it is something that we profess to believe and practice? Should we not be "sold out" to it? Would it be better to approach our beliefs with cold objectivity? Will that make us convincing to others? Will it make us convincing to ourselves?

I am sold out and proud of it! I love culinary coffee. Try as you may, you cannot convince me that proper brewing methods do not really result in a superior cup of coffee. You cannot persuade me that it is all just hype that I have bought into. You are wrong, and I am not backing down. The BMW 3 Series is the best sports sedan ever built. Try as you may to tout the benefits of the A4 or the C Class, I will not believe you. I will push the 3 unapologetically, because I believe in it. I am sold out. I cannot apologize for who I am or what I believe because, if I do, it isn't really who I am and I don't really believe it.

What about you? Are you sold out to something? Or do you drift through your life with detached but seemingly noble objectivity? The simple truth is that you cannot make a difference, cannot be influential, and cannot be successful unless you are 100% sold out to what you believe in. Never apologize for who you are. Instead, you should apologize for compromising. If Roger Lowenstein were to review your life, you should shoot for a negative review.

No comments:

Post a Comment