Monday, September 27, 2010

The Power of Social Brands

A recent case study brought to my attention the dual nature of the power within socially-oriented brands. Many brands are experienced by consumers more often in groups than they are individually. Of course, there is an obvious benefit to the marketers of the brand. When the brand is experienced in groups, more hype and buzz is created--which inevitably leads to greater profits. However, the consumers experiencing these social brands also benefit in that they find common ground with their fellow men. A social brand brings people together and creates lasting memories. Which is really the greater gain: the concrete profits received by the marketers or the intangible sense of belonging received by the consumers?

The brand that got me thinking in this direction was IKEA. While the Swedish large-scale furniture maker does do its share of advertising, I recently came to the realization that I had never seen any of it. I have never been to one but, yes, I have heard of IKEA. In the news? Maybe briefly. But where has my primary perception of the brand come from? Word of mouth. I've heard people at work and seen people on my social networks making plans for daytrips to got to IKEA together. Actually, come to think of it, I've never heard anyone say that they went to IKEA alone. Moreover, I've heard those same groups of people talking positively about their experience after the trip--like it was an outing to the beach or the park.

IKEA isn't the only brand that has brought people together--Starbucks, Apple, Harley-Davidson, BMW, Youtube, and--of course--Facebook, to name a few. Yes, Howard Schultz wallet is breaking at the seams, but his customers have irreplacably fond memories of gathering together with their friends for a latte. And Steve Jobs has no want of profits, but his customers are well-off socially as well. Harley Davidson and BMW are more than mediums of transportation--they each have their own loyal followers who share intimate social experiences. Youtube and Facebook--who hasn't watched a funny video together or exchanged comments on a friend's status.

As I think in my own experience, I realize that many of the brands I feel a connection to result from the fact that they were experienced with other people. And this idea goes far beyond the traditional business world. Which religious brands are most important? Likely the ones propogated by the youth group you attened. Which sports brands are most important? Likely those presented to you while you watched the game with your friends. Brands that are social are brands that are remembered. Check out Vitrue's list of the Top 100 Social Brands of 2009 and see if you've had social experiences with any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment