Wednesday, August 10, 2011

50 Sales Books I Will Read in 2012

Going through online book forums, I noticed a common challenge that readers across the web like to take on: reading 50 books in a year. I am on par to hit about 40 for this year and I think that 50 is attainable for 2012.

In the past, I've gotten into books on multiple subjects: classic fiction, science-fiction, philosophy, theology, history, Christian living, biology, memoir, economics, marketing, business biography, coffee, cars, computer technology, the list goes on. I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge. For 2012, however, I think I will specialize. I am going to read 50 books on sales (and related areas such as marketing, entrepreneurship, leadership, social media, etc.).

Since I've gotten into sales, I have been overwhelmed by the breadth of material available to me. I want to read everything I can, but I often don't know where to start. By the end of this year, I will have read many of the classics, like Dale Carengie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People," Mack Hanan's "Consultative Selling," and Steven Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People."

Most of what I've learned about sales, however, has come from blogs. All of the sales bloggers that I follow and archive in my weekly "Top 10" lists have taught me more about selling than all of the books I've ever read. So, for 2012, all 50 of the sales books I will read will have been written by these bloggers. To be precise, there are 30 authors featured in my "Top 10" that have written books which I will read in 2012. Next year will be a tribute to these authors and their contribution to the world of sales, both on-line and on paper. Below is my projected list:




  1. Brian Tracy: The Psychology of Selling

  2. Seth Godin: Purple Cow

  3. Jeffrey Gitomer: The Little Book of Leadership

  4. John Jantsch: Duct Tape Marketing

  5. Charles Green: The Trusted Advisor

  6. Sharon Drew Morgen: Selling with Integrity

  7. Pamela Slim: Escape from Cubicle Nation

  8. Dave Kahle: Question Your Way to Sales Success

  9. Bob Phibbs: The Retail Doctor's Guide to Growing Your Business

  10. Paul McCord: Bust Your Slump

  11. Matt Heinz: Are You Selling Pants, or Selling a Dream?

  12. Art Sobczak: Smart Calling

  13. Tim Berry: The Plan-As-You-Go Business Plan

  14. Alen Majer: Trigger Events

  15. Kelley Robertson: Stop, Ask, and Listen

  16. Chris Brogan: Trust Agents

  17. Scott Ginsberg: The Power of Approachability

  18. Jim Domanski: Profiting by Phone

  19. Jeffrey Gitomer: The Little Red Book of Selling

  20. Seth Godin: Poke the Box

  21. Brian Tracy: No Excuses

  22. Mike Brooks: The Real Secrets of the Top 20%

  23. Tibor Shanto: Shift

  24. Kelly McCormick: Outsell Yourself

  25. Sean McPheat: E-selling

  26. Jeb Brooks: Perfect Phrases for the Sales Call

  27. Grant Cardone: Sell to Survive

  28. Kendra Lee: Selling Against the Goal

  29. Carrie Wilkerson: Barefoot Executive

  30. Kevin Eikenberry: Remarkable Leadership

  31. Diane Helbig: Lemonade Stand Selling

  32. Ted Coine: Spoil 'Em Rotten

  33. Robert Terson: Selling Fearlessly

  34. Dave Kahle: How to Sell Anything to Anyone Anytime

  35. Art Sobczak: How to Sell More in Less Time with No Rejection

  36. Tim Berry: Hurdle

  37. Paul McCord: Creating a Million Dollar a Year Sales Income

  38. Jeffrey Gitomer: Social Boom

  39. Bob Phibbs: Groupon

  40. Matt Heinz: Sales for Start-Ups

  41. John Jantsch: The Referral Engine

  42. Sharon Drew Morgen: Dirty Little Secrets

  43. Alen Majer: Selling is Better Than Sex

  44. Brian Tracy: Eat That Frog

  45. Scott Ginsberg: Ideas Are Free, Execution is Priceless

  46. Seth Godin: The Linchpin

  47. Kelley Robertson: The Secrets of Power Selling

  48. Jim Domanski: Add-On Selling

  49. Charles Green: Trust Based Selling

  50. Chris Brogan: Social Media 101


If you are in sales, I would challenge you to join me in this endeavor. If you are not in sales, well, you are still in sales. Everything you do is related to convincing other people, in some way, shape, or form, that what you do or what you offer is valuable. Do you want to improve your disposition or your lot in life? Join me in uncovering and implementing the ideas in these amazing works of literature!

2 comments:

  1. Doug,
    thank you for including my book at #14. You know what - I will send you my book for free, just send me your address!

    Thanks!
    Alen
    Author of Selling Is Better Than Sex and Trigger Events

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alen. I'll take it. Sent you my address from my Gmail account. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete